Thursday, August 15, 2024

words

I told her
once
I was not
an unstained soul


she liked that


I called her

my Goddess

once


she balked

but I know

she liked that


once

twice

three times

I asked her

to marry me


she liked that

because she agreed

each time


countless times

I told her

I loved her

she told me

countless times

too


once

I told her

I had to let her go


she didn’t like that


either did I

as it turned out


yet

I said it again

a year later


neither of us

liked it 

anymore than before


in fact

we hated it


I think

we hate it still


for all we shared

then and since

the feelings

we’ve expressed

in words

in actions

we’ve lost

something precious


I lost 

someone precious


once

she liked

the words I used


now

all the words

in the world

don’t sway her


they’ve lost

what charm

they once had

whatever magic

I could put 

into them


yet

I keep writing

words my sole

release

a medium

with but dubious effect


once

has become

no more

words

are now

ignored

meaningless

where once

adored


what love

our hearts

might know

no words

seem apt

to show

and words

like so much

air

just seem

to go

nowhere



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home