Sunday, July 30, 2017

Transition

Tonight, my daughter and I watched the lunar eclipse. As the earth transited across its lucent face, I couldn't help reflecting that life as I know it has begun a transition, too. From letting the ego and fear rule my days to allowing love and the soul to guide me, the feeling that has overcome me is akin to excitement on the grandest of scales. Like Scrooge when he wakes up on Christmas Day or George Bailey realizing the riches he is surrounded with in "It's A Wonderful Life", there is a sense of overwhelming rebirth.

Still clinging to its past, the ego struggles mightily to regain control. Every moment it challenges the new ideas swarming freely through my thoughts, attempting at every turn to undermine the foundation of truth that is becoming stronger than it. Understandably, years of effort are required to re-wire what has been, to create a new set of parameters from which to envision the world. It's worth every second of time and scrap of energy to pursue. After all, whatever I've been doing so far hasn't made me happy or successful or anything, at least not in any lasting way. It's only left me wondering what I'm missing.

Yes, I have the toys and I've had some fun. It all pales in comparison to searching for life's purpose. I now believe that for me, that means finding the love in my heart that has always existed and accepting myself for what I am: a creation of God, an expression of the perfection that makes every one of us capable of miracles.

I have never fully believed in God, at least not in recent memory. I still do not conceive of it as some bearded deity wielding mighty bolts of lightning, but rather as a collective consciousness, a reflection of the spiritual energy extant in all life that has the ultimate power to heal, guide and uphold us if we but ask for help. How can it be otherwise? Where would we be if not for love? We'd be subject to the fear that we are taught from a young age is normal. We'd be fighting each other over illusions of reality, rather than focusing on what is real. The only real thing that cannot be destroyed, that buoys us through every eventuality, is love.

It's a sobering thought. Most of what I have been taught about this life has been in error. There is no fault to be laid at the feet of the teachers. They were taught the same things. The fault is thinking that the pursuits we hold so dear to our hearts, of the biggest house or the best education or the fastest car, are false idols. How we go about chasing after these phantoms of happiness is ruining the earth. The bigger picture, that we are in a position to heal ourselves and by extension the planet we call home, is far more important. Would you rather live in love or die fighting for oil? That should be a redundant question, yet it is overlooked by most of us.

Oh, I realize that to suddenly sprout wings and fly and then crow about it is not the way to raise awareness of the issues nor endear oneself to anyone. It's far too hypocritical. Rather, by addressing the needs of the self and becoming aware of the importance of life and love, maybe, just maybe, one can help by healing one's own soul. It's as simple as that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home